Walking Through Life One Step at a Time

Walking Through Life One Step at a Time

Thursday, April 21, 2016

Beauty....the Ugly Truth

If there's one thing I've learned over the past 3 years it is that I am not in control.  I repeat-NOT in control.  That's tough for a Type A like myself.  There are lots of things I lose control of all the time.  Here are a few fun ones:
1. My Emotions
2. My Temper
3. My Attitude
4. My Words
5. My Reactions

I could go on a bit longer but why do that?  When I began to lose control of my body and health about 3 years ago, it was the most frustrated I had ever been.  It started small.  Allergic reactions here and there to things I'd never been allergic to.  Constant colds and sinus infections.  Depression and severe mood swings.  Weight gain in my mid-section only.  All of these things just started appearing out of the blue.  After multiple diagnoses, lots of medications, and lots of money later, I now know and have control of my body again (no thanks to the medications, mind you). Sure it wasn't the answer I wanted to hear, but the answer could have been far worse.  And I must admit, though not easy, the changes I have made in my life have been the most beneficial changes I could have ever made.  The biggest change for me has been realizing that although there are hundreds of things I can't control, there are 2 things that I can control.

*I can control what goes IN my body.
*I can control what goes ON my body.

Celiac Disease dictates what goes IN my body, but I have decided to take it one step further and begin to control more of what goes ON my body.  Why?  Because my health matters to me.  It matters to my family.  It matters to my friends.  

As I began my elimination diet, I really looked (for the first time) into the products I use every day.  I love products.  My mother is a PRODUCT JUNKY so I get it honest, but she beats me hands down in the product war.  What I didn't love as I begin to research were the scary statistics I began to see about the personal care product industry, specifically the cosmetic industry.

I sat with my mouth gaping open as I watched and listened to the CEO of Beautycounter talk about the cosmetic industry.  The following information comes from her research.

Let's do a little question/answer session, shall we? 

Q: When was the last year that the federal government actually regulated what the cosmetic industry puts into their products?

A: Although we would hope the answer is 2015 the actual answer is 1938.  1938.


Q: How many chemicals have been introduced in the United States since World War II?

A: A staggering 80,000


Q:  How many of those said chemicals are actually tested for safety?

A: 90% of those chemicals are NEVER tested for safety yet they go in our products (and are sprayed all over our food).


Q: Europe has banned 1,300 chemicals from its personal care products.  How many have the United States banned?

A: 11.  Yes.  Eleven.

To go along with that information, statistics show that 1 in 3 women will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime.  It used to be about 1 in 20.

1 in 3 children will be diagnosed with autism, some form of ADD, or severe allergies or asthma.  It used to be about 1 in 7.

Is this about over diagnosing?
 Are our genetics changing? 
                                                      
I believe it's far more reasonable to say that the change is coming from our environment.

We are all concerned about testing products on animals, yet we are now the ones that these products are being tested on.  Companies can declare anything they want to be "natural and organic" because there are no federal laws governing them.  I want products that are safe.  I deserve products that are safe!  

BeautyCounter is one of the first lines that I have found that actually has a "Never List".  This list contains 1,500 ingredients that will NEVER be a part of their products.  These ingredients are chemicals that are linked to cancer, infertility, childhood diseases, and allergies.  Beautycounter is partnered with Gwyneth Paltrow's line Goop but a little more budget friendly than ol' Gwyneth's products.  At first, I was hesitant to try the products because I've had my share of less than desirable products.  It's that product graveyard in my drawer that I empty out every 6 months.  I've been thrilled to finally find something that I love AND that I can feel safe putting on my skin.  Trust me, I've been asked to sell every product known to man.  I'm not a sales person.  I don't like asking people to spend money or buy things.  At heart, I'm an educator. That's what this opportunity is for me.  It's a way to educate people about something I am learning about through my own experience.

You and I may not have very much in common, but I'm sure every person who reads this blog knows someone with cancer, someone with severe allergies, someone who has struggled with infertility or someone who has a child with ADD or autism.  These issues are rising at a staggering pace. And ladies, this goes beyond makeup (even though the makeup I use from them is FAB)!  This goes into what we put on our children, the bubble bath we sit them in at night, and the sunscreen we lather on them during the summer.  Even if what I do by using these products is the smallest way to help, it's still something I can do to help.





CHALLENGE:
1. Read the labels on your products.  Know what is in them.

2. Research for yourself!  Check out www.beautycounter.com to see that "never" list.  They also list every ingredient in their products from A-Z.

3. Let me know if you are interested in trying these safe products for yourself or for your family.  I can tell you my TOP 5 products that I absolutely love.

4. Watch for yourself.  Go to You Tube and search 'The Ugly Truth About the Beauty Industry'.  You'll hear Gregg speak more on this topic and do a much better job than my ramblings.

Most importantly, remember that we have the power to change the products that are being provided to us!  Choose wisely.  Yes, they may be more expensive, but so are medications, surgeries, and treatments.  Start small.  Do what you can.  Every little change matters.

 
XOXO!!!
Amanda
 



No comments:

Post a Comment